The SAGE Encyclopedia of Pharmacology and Society
- Sarah E. Boslaugh - Saint Louis University, USA
The SAGE Encyclopedia of Pharmacology and Society explores the social and policy sides of the pharmaceutical industry and its pervasive influence in society. While many technical STM works explore the chemistry and biology of pharmacology and an equally large number of clinically oriented works focus on use of illegal drugs, substance abuse, and treatment, there is virtually nothing on the immensely huge business (“Big Pharma”) of creating, selling, consuming, and regulating legal drugs.
With this new Encyclopedia, the topic of socioeconomic, business and consumer, and legal and ethical issues of the pharmaceutical industry in contemporary society around the world are addressed.
- 800 signed articles, authored by prominent scholars, are arranged A-to-Z and published in a choice of electronic or print formats
- Although arranged A-to-Z, a Reader's Guide in the front matter groups articles by thematic areas
- Front matter also includes a Chronology highlighting significant developments in this field
- All articles conclude with Further Readings and Cross References to related articles
- Back matter includes an annotated Resource Guide to further research, a Glossary, Appendices (e.g., statistics on the amount and types of drugs prescribed, etc.), and a detailed Index
- The Index, Reader’s Guide, and Cross References combine for search-and-browse capabilities in the electronic edition
The SAGE Encyclopedia of Pharmacology and Society is an authoritative and rigorous source addressing the pharmacology industry and how it influences society, making it a must-have reference for all academic libraries as a source for both students and researchers to utilize.
"This new four-volume SAGE set fills a gap in reference collections... Large public libraries and academic libraries serving programs in pharmacology or interdisciplinary studies in social medicine or public health will likely want to acquire this reference resource."
"The coverage offered in these four volumes is comprehensive and thorough and the information provided in the articles is factual, straightforward, and written in a style suitable for both undergraduates and the informed lay reader... (The Encyclopedia) is another high quality resource from SAGE Reference... Academic libraries, as well as those supporting medical and nursing programs would do well to give it serious consideration."
"The editor and contributors are scholars with academic affiliations. They have created a work with 800 signed alphabetical entries that include bibliographies. The entries cover a wide range of topics that illustrate the breadth of the discipline…This is a unique guide offering a comprehensive overview of one of the world’s major industries. It will be a useful addition to the collections of academic libraries supporting programs in the health sciences, business, and the social sciences."