Successful Transition Programs
Pathways for Students With Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities
- John McDonnell - University of Utah, USA
- Michael L. Hardman - University of Utah, USA
This book is available to instructors and students in an electronic version!
Click here for more information.
Addressing the full range of curricular and instructional issues that face professionals working in middle school, high school, and post-high school programs, Successful Transition Programs: Pathways for Students With Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities, Second Edition is the most relevant text available for teachers and administrators. Authors John McDonnell and Michael L. Hardman take the position that the most effective transition programs are those that cumulatively build on the capacity of students for employment, community living, and citizenship.
Key Features and Benefits
- Covers systematic transition planning, employment preparation, participation in the general education curriculum, instruction in community settings, and preparing students to live as independently as possible
- Aligns with recommended practice in the field and with federal legislation governing educational and community service programs
- Contains ecological curriculum models for students with intellectual and developmental disabilities
- Includes focus review questions, real-life example windows, and point/counterpoint boxes from key researchers on controversial issues to help readers connect the book's concepts with the typical needs of students
"McDonnell and Hardman—along with their collaborating authors—have crafted an informative, comprehensive, and accessible textbook written to equip new and practicing professionals with the knowledge, skills, expectations, and strategies to effectively support youth and young adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities transition to life after high school. Overall, the book is well organized and cohesively written. Recognizing the numerous tensions inherent within transition programming, the authors embed point/counterpoint discussions and vignettes, challenging readers to think more deeply about complex and emerging issues."
"Successful Transition Programs provides an excellent resource for new and practicing professionals. Both the cutting-edge content and user-friendly format make this book appealing to preservice and unservice teachers and other practitioners involved in transition planning and services. It is my choice as the text for my university transition course."
Sample Materials & Chapters
Chapter 1 - Historical and Legislative Foundations
Chapter 8 - Inclusion in General Education Classes