Social Welfare Policy in a Changing World
- Shannon R. Lane - Yeshiva University, New York, USA
- Elizabeth S. Palley - Adelphi University
- Corey S. Shdaimah - University of Maryland, Baltimore, MD, USA
Social Welfare Policy/Social Policy
Recipient of a 2022 Most Promising New Textbook Award from the Textbook & Academic Authors Association (TAA)
Social Welfare Policy in a Changing World is an approachable and student-friendly text that links policy and practice and employs a critical analytic lens to U.S. social welfare policy. With particular attention to disparities based on class, race/ethnicity, ability, sexual orientation and gender, authors Shannon R. Lane, Elizabeth S. Palley, and Corey S. Shdaimah assess the impact of policies at the micro, meso, and macro levels. The authors provide students with a brief foundation in history, the policy process, and theory, while primarily focusing on helping students recognize the many ways that policy affects their lives and the lives of their clients and communities. Connecting description, theoretical analysis, and advocacy, this new text challenges readers to examine the development, consequences, and future implications of core policies. Students will come away with a newfound understanding of how to use the political process to address social justice issues and enact meaningful policy change.
FREE DIGITAL TOOLS INCLUDED WITH THIS TEXT
SAGE edge gives instructors and students the edge they need to succeed with an array of teaching and learning tools in one easy-to-navigate website. Learn more: edge.sagepub.com/lane
- a password-protected site for complete and protected access to all text-specific instructor resources;
- test banks that provide a diverse range of ready-to-use options that save you time. You can also easily edit any question and/or insert your own personalized questions;
- multimedia content featuring third party videos that meet the learning needs of today’s media-savvy students and bring concepts to life;
- discussion questions and class activities that help students engage with the material by reinforcing important content and inspiring critical thinking;
- sample course syllabi for semester and quarter courses that provide suggested models for structuring your courses;
- editable, chapter-specific PowerPoint® slides that offer complete flexibility for creating a multimedia presentation for your course; and
- lecture notes that summarize key concepts by chapter to help you prepare for lectures and class discussions.
- an open-access site that makes it easy for students to maximize their study time, anywhere, anytime;
- multimedia content featuring third party videos that bring concepts to life;
- eFlashcards that strengthen understanding of key terms and concepts; and
- eQuizzes that allow students to practice and assess how much they’ve learned and where they need to focus their attention; and
- discussion questions and class activities that help students engage with the material by reinforcing important content and inspiring critical thinking.
“I want to use Social Welfare Policy in a Changing World in my social policy courses as soon as possible! The authors do not artificially compartmentalize issues, such as housing instability, that are in practice deeply intertwined with issues like poverty, child welfare, and addiction. At the same time, they do not leave the reader in a sea of facts and figures. Instead, they offer vignettes and activities that demonstrate practical ways students can use their knowledge to affect change.”
“The vignettes that start each chapter make the topics come alive. I also liked that each chapter ended with advocacy opportunities. This text connects practice with policy very effectively.”
I liked the book. Very readable, goodinformation, very up to date.
i really like the Teacher's support, especially the videos.
The textbook is comprehensive in the coverage of multiple eras and types of policy.
book is used by the university for the second policy class
A more current and up to date textbook was needed and after reviewing this book, we decided this a good fit to assist students with understanding social welfare policy in everyday life.
We wanted to try a new book this semester.
Excellent resource to include in syllabus under suggested text. Also, might use referenced information from the text.
Sample Materials & Chapters
Chapter 2. How Policy is Created and Influenced
Chapter 5. Child Welfare Policy