Preventing and Reducing Juvenile Delinquency
A Comprehensive Framework
- James C. Howell - National Youth Gang Center, USA
The Second Edition of Preventing and Reducing Juvenile Delinquency: A Comprehensive Framework aims to inform students about the latest research and the most promising and effective programs and provides a wealth of information for understanding, preventing and controlling juvenile delinquency.
- Examines the history of current juvenile justice system policies and practices, including the juvenile violence "epidemic"
- Discusses key myths about juvenile violence and the ability of the juvenile justice system to handle modern-day juvenile delinquents
- Applies developmental theories of juvenile delinquency to understanding how juvenile offender careers evolve
- Reviews effective prevention and rehabilitation programs and what does not work
- Presents a comprehensive framework for building a continuum of effective programs
Intended Audience: This is an ideal supplementary text for undergraduate and graduate courses in juvenile delinquency, juvenile justice, and violent offender intervention courses. It is also essential reading for juvenile justice and social services research and development specialists.
"This accessible handbook from a passionate advocate of giving youth 'room to reform, to keep their life chances intact' will be valued by students and practitioners of juvenile justice, as well as lawmakers, policymakers, and social services research and development specialists."
—Youth Today: The Newspaper on Youth Work
Sample Materials & Chapters
Chapter 1 - Superpredators and Other Myths about Juvenile Delinquency