A strengths and assets-based approach to multilingual learner success
As the number of multilingual learners (MLLs) in US schools continues to grow, educators need to learn the moves necessary to support the success of these students in mathematics and science.
Equity Moves to Support Multilingual Learners in Mathematics and Science, Grades K-8 focuses on the literacy opportunities that MLLs can achieve when language scaffolds are taught alongside rigorous math and science content. It provides a framework teachers can use to develop equity-centered, scaffolded math, science, or STEAM lessons. Readers will find
- Anchor phenomena that demonstrate issues with lesson design and delivery and highlight areas to include language and content scaffolds
- Examples for honoring the languages of students, families, and communities
- Culturally responsive techniques and easy-to-use tables featuring the equity moves
- Vignettes showcasing the equity move in the classroom setting
- A focus on four language demands: vocabulary, discourse, multiple modes of representation, and text features
With an assets-based approach to what MLLs can do, this book helps teachers unpack the language demands of mathematics and science and encourages reflection of their own practices in scaffolding for language and culture.