Changing Publics and Changing Public Services
- John Clarke - The Open University, UK
- Janet Newman - The Open University
- Nick Smith - The Open University
- Elizabeth Vidler - The Open University
- Louise Westmarland - The Open University
Creating Citizen Consumers explores a range of theoretical, political, policy and practice issues that arise in the shift towards consumerism.It draws on recent controversies about choice in public services to bring them in line with the experiences and expectations of a consumer society. It offers a fresh and challenging use of popular understandings of the relationships between people and services to argue for a model of publicness based on interdependence, respect and partnership rather than choice.
Recommended text as useful for seminar discussions and essay topic selection.