A Guide to Co-Teaching With Paraeducators
Practical Tips for K-12 Educators
- Ann I. Nevin - Arizona State University, USA
- Richard A. Villa - Bayridge Consortium
- Jacqueline S. Thousand - California State University-San Marcos
"This book provides a valuable resource for the best utilization of paraeducators in the classroom, with tips and tools for making this a successful process."
—Melissa Miller, Science Teacher
Lynch Middle School, Farmington, AR
"Easy to read and understand, this book contains many examples, resources, and up-to-date information pertinent to the role of paraeducators."
—Mari Gates, Special Education Co-Teacher
Henry B. Burkland Intermediate School, Middleboro, MA
Learn how paraeducators can positively impact the achievement of students with special needs in the inclusive classroom!
Focused on the expanding role of paraeducators, this hands-on reference provides practical guidelines for collaborating with paraeducators to give students with special needs access to highly qualified instructors in the general education classroom and individualized attention that promotes learning for all students.
The authors outline a team approach bolstered by a plan for developing teachers and their paraeducators through built-in school-system supports that allow for appropriate supervision and encourage ongoing training. This comprehensive guide includes tips and strategies for a collaborative planning and instructional process and offers:
- Reproducible forms that teachers and paraeducators can use to establish effective co-teaching roles
- Numerous K–12 examples that provide clear direction on how paraeducators can impact student achievement
- Real-life accounts from three paraeducators to provide authentic, firsthand scenarios
- Concept maps, chapter summaries, and a glossary of terms for easy navigation of the material
A Guide to Co-Teaching With Paraeducators offers general and special education teachers and paraeducators a historical overview of paraprofessional roles, highlights the four types of co-teaching, and addresses legislative mandates, potential legal challenges, and requirements for certification of paraprofessional skills.
"This book provides a valuable resource for the best utilization of paraeducators in the classroom, with tips and tools for making this a successful process.”
“I have never seen another book that treats this topic with such depth in such an accessible manner.”
“Easy to read and understand, this book contains many examples, resources, and up-to-date information pertinent to the role of paraeducators.”
The book was exactly what we needed for the class. Very impressed.